Sunday, June 25, 2017


Festa San Giovanni (Santa Jeneane)

Much of the upper area of CVS is still under earthquake repair. Our friends, Johnnie and Wilma’s home is completely shut off. I did many paintings there a few years ago. I loved to paint at their house because there was always cookies and coffee for the tired artist. I also like their dog, Tommie. More people have pets now, but Tommie used to be the only dog on a leash. 


Some new areas have opened up for painting and I found several possibilities today while on parade. 

Road to J & W's hous

Church of San Giovanni


Today is my saint day. This means I got even more hugs and kisses that usual. It is 12:30 and I have already walked 3.5 miles. This is because I went up to town twice and went in the Saint Parade. Today I realized why I love the marching band and the parade is because I spent all of high school in the marching band! Of course I love it. 

San Giovanni leaves the church for his annual trek

Headed up the street

Headed down the street

The priests and the band in the pizaaz



In the late afternoon there was another band. They were scheduled for 4:30, but only we and the Danes had arrived by then. By 6pm the piazza was full of marching band lovers. We lost OUR Danes to some people  from Latvia and had to wander home alone....I finished another portrait, but maybe on Monday I will actually get to work. I brought all this stuff to do oils, but when I see my pastels I wonder why I would want to do mediocre oils when I could do pastels. Also paintings done from real life are infinitely better than ones done from photographs. Seeing my pastels here from last summer has made me remember this.  



These signs are along our walk to the piazza and identify this street as the historic route that the
pope elect took from Sulmona to Rome.



No comments:

Post a Comment