Friday, June 24, 2016

Another Day in Paradise


Yesterday I worked on two pastels. Both of them I drew in the house from photos. I had to do a lot of redrawing on the second, because the photo had messed up the perspective. I am not sure if this is cheating or not, but it does allow me to get to my color quicker. I was finished with the first one when the woman of the house came out and offered me coffee. 


I always say yes, because I don’t want to be rude. Her house had several nice paintings and an excellent drawing of her daughter that I believe was done by a street artist sometime in the far back past. I was able to have a bit of a conversation with her and I think that I understood most of what she was saying. No one is very critical, they just look confused. It is a look I share. Luckily I have two friends who will correct me. She gave me an amoretti. This is certainly mis-spelled. They are little almond cookies that are crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside. If you have had them in the States, then they are only crisp. Without a mold retardant it is not possible to export them without spoilage. Thus an amoretti in the U.S. will always be a disappointment. This was the fun fact of yesterday from a guy I met who used to export food from Italy. He is visiting the family home in Gagliano across the valley. He was from Michigan. I helped me get wi-fi on his phone and he explained the amoretti conundrum. 



Last night Italy played Ireland in the European Cup. Soccer, of course. Italy lost by 1 point that Ireland scored with about 5 minutes to go. All the men on the Italian team are quite handsome and all but one of the Irish men looked like thugs. Would I feel different if I was in Ireland? The game must have been played somewhere in the UK, because the crowd seemed completely Irish. (imagine the Quiddich World Cup) Many people were dressed as leprechauns. This is never a good look, but to be fair, there were two Italians who appeared to be dressed as Smurfs. It was fun to watch in the piazza on the big screen, although many more people seem to be able to watch in their homes. This picture is the hair of the young man who wants me to paint his portrait. A true fan, he also had one of those airhorns, but no occasion to blow it.




We were awoken by a loud boom this morning. Jim went to the terrace to see what was up. He reported that the wind was howling and it was pouring rain. Both the howling and the rain lasted a few seconds. I had been up at 4:30 and it was perfectly clear. After what seemed like a giant front rolled by with the wind and rain…nothing changed. The day has continued to be so unstable I don’t dare go out painting. Maybe if i had a car, but not on foot.

I have spent the morning working on a portrait of our dear friend who died in January 2016. I want it to be perfect and that is always a problem. The other portrait I have finished is of a kid who didn’t like the one I did last year or two years ago. I can’t remember any more. Another boy that I promised a portrait to caught up with me last night so already I am in the hole on portrait production. Mostly I would like to take a nap. 


Now it is time for Pranza and then a guilt free nap!

No comments:

Post a Comment