Saturday, July 2, 2016

Market Day Again July 1



A week slips by and it is July 1st and market day in CVS. If only we could eat more! We bought cherries, peaches, watermelon, cantaloupe and grapes. We still have oranges and unbelievable, but I can’t think of the English word and I am not sure how to spell the Italian word. Great, demento in two languages. (demento here means forgot) 



After some shocking T-shirts on view in the market we headed home and saw our friend Maria. She is the one that brought us all those APRICOTS!!! (non demento!!) that we can’t seem to finish. I have had two already today. 

This actually says "Sims of Youth", not "sins" and "Hollywork"


My friend, Maria

Then I trudged back to my painting spot and Jim went to a spot that doesn’t involve so many stairs. After he went to the Supermarcoto only to discover that it was closed, because someone died. That amazes me in a good way. 





I finished off the pastel of the round stairs and then went back to the one of the magic piazza. In this piazza lived a giant. He lived at the top of the giant stairs on the left. Very small people lived next door in the surrounding piazza. If you live next to a giant, it is a good idea to have very small doors so he can’t get in. Much like a mouse and a cat. Unfortunately the creator of this small world did not notice the disparity of the two sides of her painting. Last night she spent quite a bit of time moaning and groaning about how stupido she was. But, luckily, Jim had some good ideas. I sprayed the snot out of it and then redrew and reworked with pastel from the photo I had taken. Today I sprayed it again, compared elements in the real world, made all the little doors bigger and now feel that people of the same size live in all these houses. The big stairs may go up to San Giovanni, the really BIG church in town. The back of the church is beautiful, but the front is a wreck from the earthquake. 



Today I started worrying about what I should do if there was another earthquake while I was out painting in the Centro Storico. So what do you think? Get under an arched doorway that did not fall in the last earthquake? All I can think about is getting hit on the head with a big rock and having my eyes pop out. Uhggg. 

Today as we walked by the scaffolded and wrapped building. Workers were using a jack hammer to dislodge big pieces of stone. These were crashing to the ground and I was very happy about the wrapping and the metal pieces around the bottom to hold in the stone. Dust and small fragments were escaping and I was glad I was wearing glasses. Jim was not so lucky. Note to self: next year bring shop glasses to wear near construction sites. 

I was going to start a third painting after finishing the other two. It was nice and cool after all. When I stood up, I realized the coolness was only lingering in the shade. Suddenly I wondered how I would walk home with so much stuff when it was so hot. So I took a photo and I may try the drawing thing again, although I am suspicious that this is the root of my drawing problems.  


All afternoon I have been reading. I deleted the solitary game on my phone. If I want to play I will have to use a real deck. I cannot be trusted with games. Mostly I am trying and succeeding to not work on the portraits. Only six to go from this summer and then all the ones I did not finish in the winter. How does, “ Non questa estate” sound? not this summer, so sorry, really, really sorry. It takes about four hours to do one AND from watermelon at lunch I can tell you that an average size piece has 102 1/2 seeds. Inspire of what my Texan uncle told me, a watermelon will NOT sprout inside you from 1/2 a seed. The risk is worth it, because the watermelon is so delicious. Other fun facts: if you eat soup, watermelon, wine, water and limoncello for dinner you will have to pee all night. In this case it does mean you will get to see the stars behind the majestic Sirentes!

No comments:

Post a Comment