Monday, August 12, 2013

Just a simple day in Italy

Sunday was a simple day. First to Rainno for the Sunday market. I am sorry to say that more and more things are open on Sunday. When I was growing up the expansion of shopping opportunity to Sunday changed it from a totally family day to one where it was lucky if there was a family lunch after church. Here families usually go out for lunch or have an extended lunch at home. Most restaurants only have one set of customers per table. None of this eat and run.

We had a pizza lunch at home and then a little nap. There was a Caravaggio show advertised at Badia Moresse, home of the other guy who abdicated from being pope. Pope Celestine. We had just missed the start of the tour and a woman told us to wait for someone to come and watch a video in the meantime. We watched it one and a half times and then started out on our own. Jim and I had had a tour before and it really is not that illuminating in Italian. We found the show and learned a new word. “Olto” which means after Caravaggio. So it was not a show of Caravaggio, but one of his followers. No one else was particularly happy, but I found many things to admire. The eyes were so lipid with perfect highlights. The painters used light and shadow to direct your eye exactly where they wanted. That was Caravaggio’s big contribution to art: using strong contrast to create drama and intensity and focus the viewers eye. Dutch painters went to Italy to study his methods and you see the same ideas in Rembrandt’s paintings. All very exciting to me.



 Overlook of the valley below Rainno.


Jim and his car.



Inside Badia Moresse.


Biker guy and chick.











Outside Badia Moresse


After dinner it was time for the “celebration of the elders”. First there was a poetry contest celebrating miners, the difficulty of their work and how wives and mothers waited for boys that never returned. It was interesting and I am always interested to try to understand the language. Others in our group did not feel this way. Next was a karaoke type performance by one of our neighbors. I had promised I would come, but again others were restless. I kept saying just 2 more songs, because I felt we should show we were there. Just as we were about to stand up he called out, “ciao, Jeneane, Jim and Jessie”. Then we could not leave. Food was served. I was convince it was gelato, because I thought I heard that word, but it was a pasta and garbonzo bean soup. The little old ladies beside me gave me my own spoon and insisted I try it. Ok first bite I was worried it was the cut up sheep lungs, heart and liver, but on the second bite I saw the garbonzo beans and felt better. By the third bite of the soup they were all sharing it was starting to grow on me, but by then I had to give in to the wishes of others and leave. Personally I would stay all night. I find it all fascinating. In Italy everything makes me happy. My smile muscles have strengthened so it no longer hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment