Wednesday, July 5, 2017

4th of July — but not here

4th of July — but not here

It has been a lovely 4th of July. The weather is heating up, but is not above average for this season. 

Today was market day. It is so exciting to have something to spend money on:  especially delicious fruit. We made a material purchase today of some binoculars. Now we can see every detail in the valley. It really is pretty exciting and every year we have been saying we would bring some from the States. 



After market I went out to work on an oil painting. The composition turned out just as planned, but It was such a terrible idea. That does not usually happen to me. After that I took a nap. I just could not keep my eyes open. Then we ate lunch and then I took another nap. It is lucky I roamed all over this valley before I got so tired and prefer to only sleep. It could be that working in oils is making me feel this way! 

The truly big excitement of the day was getting my haircut! Yes, it is the annual cultural experience of being in the hair salon and listening to people talk. I do not usually see more than one or two people when I am at Nu-leaf in Montpelier, but here, because my haircut does not start until 1.5 hours after its scheduled time I see a lot of people. Mostly they are old (takes one to know one) and they want their hair to look super young. Ok I was tempted to get my haircut like my friend Gino: shaved up the sides and long on top, but I recognize that there are some things one should just appreciate and not actually emulate. And it was amazing how young their hair did look. Women here have the most processed hair I have ever seen. I believe the style this year is more wind blown and slightly longer than in the past. Raphella seemed to be sad when I said that I wanted my hair short. It is also possible I said something offensive. So far I have thanked my neighbor for the strawberries when he gave us beans and told someone else that I would be right back when I meant that I had been painting up above in the old town. I kind of wish that I never figured out these mistakes. 

Before

during


Now I have a great haircut and it is not so heavy and hot. (only 20E and no tipping!!) Getting my haircut is one of the times I appreciate being so near sighted: I do not have to stare at myself in the mirror the entire time. This woman cuts hair so fast it is like being swarmed by a host of humming birds. I do wish I had protective eye wear, but I emerged unscathed. I think she might make more money than any other business in town. 

After


Tonight our fabulous neighbors are coming for dinner. Jim figured out a way to make pulled pork and it is delicious. 

My Italian best friend. Notice how we have cleaned our plates. 

No comments:

Post a Comment