Monday, July 3, 2017

July 3, 2017 Perfect Days Continue

July 3, 2017 Perfect Days Continue

My start from yesterday. 

I do not believe the weather has ever been so pleasant as these last few days. I don’t think I have sweat a single drop. The air is crisp and It is below 30c. There are big clouds, but the humidity is low. Because of this great weather I have not returned to my spot in the convento. I will save that for the inevitable return of hot weather.


Today I finished three pastels that have been started on different days and times. I found some pretty great pastels that I did and left here last year. Probably I thought they would look nice in a show this summer. 

Finished!

Finished


This afternoon I continued my painting on the edge of the earthquake repair zone. I started it on Sunday and it was a lovely, peaceful place to paint. Not so today. The men were sand blasting the old stucco off the walls to take it down to the stone. It is so interesting how fashion comes and goes. First the walls were stone, then they were covered with stucco to “update” the stones. 


A fine example of original, possibly, Roman stones covered with stucco.

Now the stones are uncovered for the modern look of today. It is beautiful, because you can see how the houses were made. We are not willing to do the work to reveal the stone walls and the bricks in our vaulted ceiling. 

Finished (probably)

I did not see the guys when I arrived at my spot, but I could hear them working away. Suddenly I realized that the place I was standing seemed to be filling up with dust. It seemed like a good idea to leave. A big machine was blocking my path and the hook was hanging down from the 100 foot high crane. The men were not that pleased to see me and they enjoyed laughing at my hat. I will not return to that spot unless it is a Sunday! Luckily I was basically finished except for some lines that required a straight edge. 

Our Danish friends are away visiting grandchildren and we are in charge of watering the garden and the house plants. This is a job we are good at. 

Jim watering.

Nice view of Castelvecchio from the garden.

We are also in charge of making sure the internet works on our friend’s terrace while they are out of town. I am happy to say the plants and the internet are all fine. It is amazing how much one can get done if there is no internet or TV at their house. It is also hard to remember how to amuse myself all day when I can’t just check a few things on line. Hence three pastels and one watercolor and one present framed for my friend’s visit to the newest grandchild finished today. 

Jim drawing a picture of our house.
My basil and rosemary garden is looking pretty good. I also got some flowers that I do not know the name of , but I will be sad to leave them. 



Things are moving forward on the house in Barre. We may be moving when we get home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment