Sunday, August 6, 2017

August 5, 2017 Inferno

August 6, 2017

Inferno

Today we took matters into our own hands. Once again it is 105f or possibly hotter by now. Jim had a great idea, that like all great ideas, it seems impossible he did not think of it sooner. We spent the afternoon at the Italian equivalent of Tar-Beach, a book by Faith Ringold. Our book is called Cement Terrazo. Our ocean is the bathtub filled with water (if you have been paying attention you know that our bathroom is right off the terrace), our beach chairs sit on the sand colored cement and the sheet flapping in the breeze to keep off the worst of the sun is our beach umbrella. We were able to enjoy amazingly good coffee for the beach, watermelon without sand and a cool glass of rosatto. It was a great day and the restroom was much nicer than average. We will be back tomorrow. 

The ocean...what a lovely blue!

The beach...sand that doesn't stick to your feet.

Bathing beauties


But this morning it was all work for me. Jim went out for three hour coffee with Noel, but I went painting up above our house. I was feeling a little nervous today, because the spot I chose to sit in was covered with a little rubble. Is that a safer place to sit or a worse place to sit? I do not think I mentioned that there were two little earthquakes in Pescara in the evening of the day we were there. There was no damage, but today I made my earthquake plan just in case. 

Thinking about the earthquake plan.

Start with redraw. 

My spot

I was very happy with my pastel start. It is interesting to go back and forth between oils and pastels. In oils there are infinite colors and values, but not so in pastels.  I felt anxious which I always think is a good thing for an artist.

While Jim was off gallivanting I got water from the fountain. The farmers are looking very stressed as they fill up there large containers of water. It has rained once since we have been here and that was not very much. This is the future of the planet if we don’t get busy. The sky is completely burned out. There is not a speck of blue. I did not use any in my pastel today. The trees look like they are starting to die with leaves turning brown. It is a disaster. Farmers do not own there own combines so they have to hire someone to harvest their wheat. Well, the yield is so small that it is not worth the money for many to people to even harvest. What a fun world to look forward to! 


I loved the colors in this shot. The three people are washing tomatoes in the
fountain whilea guy fills up his tank with water. 

Another guy gets water.

In the afternoon I started my commission of Castel di Ieri complete with a long view, sunflowers and some trees hanging over in the foreground. Hint to other artists:  get all the information before quoting a price. This is a 40 x 50cm canvas. Not the small pastel I thought I was doing when I said, “40E, is that too much?” Luckily I have pasteled this scene before, in fact, it is a demonstration in my book. I hope you appreciate the restraint in not mentioning my book in the last two years. Well it has come in handy for me this time. And it is certainly worth the $4.99 (is that too much?) price.

Start of Castel di Ieri in oils


Ok, but we still have some fossil fuel left so let’s keep the party going! Speaking of which we are going again to the “Street Food” festa in CVS. It was last night until about 4am and tonight is going to be ALL NIGHT. I promise to take some pictures tonight. I was dressed like a middle aged lady, but tonight will return to my middle school boy persona. 


Too early for dinner...only 8:30pm


The best hamburger we EVER ate.

Happy party goers.

DJ gets everyone up and dancing! It was amazing. What's really funny is the most
popular group participation song is "YMCA".

No comments:

Post a Comment