Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Best Mexican Food in CVS


Last night our neighbors came to dinner. Jim made as close to Mexican food as is possible here. It was amazing. First he had a chicken soup that was a little spicy with onions, zucchini, red pepper and fresh peas from Salvatore’s garden. The peas were tasty. Jim put them in at the last moment so they were sweeter than uncooked, but not mushy. 
View from Terrace

We had found some bread that is made in Italy that is about like  tortias. Jim roasted onion, zucchini, peppers and chicken. He found something like sour cream, grated some unknown cheese and made salsa with a snap of hotness. Grated soft cheese seemed to be a novelty. There was salad and grilled pineapple, also a first for our friends. The pineapple was from Puerto Rico.  Desert was our Italian ice on a slice of Enrica’s cake with Lemoncello. Wow was it good. The ice is perfect for the weather. The trick to the ice is to stir it every little bit while it is freezing so you do not have a rock of lemon ice. 
Salvatore enjoying Mexican food

How can it be so much fun to have dinner with people with whom you do not share a language? I was nervous about it, but then it was a laugh riot. I have learned how to say, “How do you say this?” “Come si chiame questo?” but “come chiame” will do fine. We were learning words in Italian and then telling our guests the English words. When I saw how much trouble they had saying things like “bottle”, I felt better about my attempts. I will never be able to roll my rrrrrs and there are some sounds that neither of us have learned the mouth shape in order to say.  “Bowl” was about impossible for the Italians. 
I finished the pastel I started yesterday morning. I can see some angles I want to change as I look at it inside the house. Then Jim and I went to a shady spot with a bench, looking back toward Castelvecchio and our house. Jim got a long way on his pastel, but it took me at least two hours just to draw the scene. I will start using pastel tomorrow. The rest of this day we have done nothing. It is so hot there is not a drop of blue in the sky. It is chilly enough in the house to want a light blanket when I am lying around doing nothing. If we had a car we would probably be going somewhere. If we had internet at our house we would be doing that. As it is we are left to our own devices. Jim is doing suduko, I am playing Angry Birds and reading Jane Austin. 

View we are currently painting. Our house is behind the light pole.

No comments:

Post a Comment