Friday, June 29, 2012

Viva Italia!


Although expected to lose, Italy pulled off an almost flawless game against Germany in the EUFA 2012 semi-finals. (Ok Germany got three penalty kicks and four minutes of penalty time at the end of the game, but the score was still 2-1 for Italy) It feels like we are at the world Quiditch cup! Once again we were in the piazza. The screen situation was new and improved. Last game must have been the first time they projected on the wall. A sheet had been procured complete with sleeves for a piece of wood across the top and bottom. This sheet was attached to the underside of the usual tent that is there with plastic strips. The bottom of the sheet was attached to the decking with expensive rope. The projector enjoyed a new mounting at the top of the other side of the tent. It all was amazing and perfectly done, until a kid pulled the plug out of the wall across the piazza. Luckily nothing happened during the time the screen was dark. Porcetta sandwiches were available, but I had gelato. The finals will be Sunday at noon, so no watching in the piazza. Luckily we are dog sitting over the weekend and the dog has a flat screen TV with satellite reception. But nothing could ever be as fun as watching the games in the piazza.

Winds coming up from Africa will make the heat fierce again this week until Tuesday. (I love the way that sounds, but I do not love the effect) In the meantime three thunderstorms collided directly over our heads today. We could see the rain moving across the mountains from two different storms and the storm behind us was producing simultaneous thunder and lightening. Rain is no longer a word you do not need to know in CVS. After two weeks, at least, it has rained. The air is moist and smells of wet hay.

 This is today's efforts. Step 1: Drawing, step 2: Lay-in, step 3: 2nd lay-in

I am not showing you the picture of the real place because my drawing is so off. It might not look like too much, but it is really hard.

This morning was market and after that we went up into the cool earthquake zone behind us to start paintings. I am on my quest for arches. I have made progress on my two Italian language goals:
1. I can sometimes know what time people are talking about  can express what time I mean and
2. I can usually tell how much something costs if the price is said to me. Today I was stunned by a food processor, ice cream maker, bread kneader, you name it, all in one machine on sale for 999E. I don’t think this woman is going to sell any. We do not have enough electricity in our house to even run one. I think the way it works is that our house has a certain amount of electricity coming into it. If we buy something like a washer-dryer or an electric stove we will have to ask for more. This is a theory.







Today's  picture of clouds.

2 comments:

  1. You might wants to double check the time you have for the soccer final. It's at 2:45 pm NY time, so I think that's 8:45 pm Italian time.

    ReplyDelete