Sunday, August 12, 2012

August 11 & 12

finished with many lies, but you will have to read the book
One month from today we will be knocking on someone’s door in NYC. Not sure who the lucky winner will be, but decisions must be made soon. After that it is Megabus to Burlington and hopefully a ride from there to Montpelier.

One good thing about a trip to Italy is that everyday is at least three. By that reckoning we have been here nine months. It was nice and cool today after last nights rain. We went up to Castel di Irie to paint. The walk is about a mile on an asphalt road. The main road is not too far away and is the road to Rome, but this is a country road. The sunflower fields had been ravaged. Either by the strong winds yesterday or the wild boar. I am just happy I wasn’t there when it happened.

We found a nice quite back street to paint on. Jim did an incredible drawing. You might notice I don’t post his pictures. They are too good. If he wants a blog he will have to do it himself.  I didn’t like my painting very much, but that is often the case. We will go back tomorrow.

The real problem was how noisy it was. The family across the street, ten feet max, was so loud. Evidently two boys were staying with their grandparents. When the boys came out and started watching what I was doing, they were totally silent. Meanwhile their grandfather was extolling me not to knock out the wedge on the bottom of his garage door. At least I think that was the problem. When cars came by, and yes amazingly there were cars, they almost ran over my toes. I am a little tired of being so constrained in what I want to paint by shade and cars.

A little up the street was a man in a wheelchair, Jim, some kids, and then me. Did the drivers slow down? No. Only when they got to the arch. One scraped his tires on the steps. Was I happy? Yes. Revenge that I did not perpetrate.

Long ago I read a book called, “In small things forgotten.” At least I think that was the name. That is the inspiration for my pictures of small things. These pictures are all things on the church at Castel di Irie. Some are kind of strange for a christian church, but all are interesting.























Sunday Aug 12, 2012

The only nude creature in this play was the horse. How did he escape from the play , “Equus”? I feel pretty sure their was nudity in that one.











We got there at our usual time: 9:15 for a 9:30 performance that will actually start at 10. The piazza was packed.

All the chairs were taken and people had brought their own or were hanging on to the railing. We didn’t stay too long. It was obviously very funny, but the humor was a little lost on us.




















This morning it was back to Castel di Irie. We got a ride with a man who owns a plot of land where he also keeps his truffle dogs. He took us past his land all the way to CDI and then insisted on buying us coffee. I was desperate about my painting from yesterday. It looked so bad in the house. I had to make it lighter so I lied my way to a better painting. We are all liers, but the point is to be a great lier. So I was at least happier.
started



We moved to another spot where we have often painted. It has a great view overlooking the valley. We turned our back on that and Jim did the tower and I did some more arches. The fence was down around an area by the tower that was blocked last time we were there. We found this amazing place, still enclosed by a locked fence, but amazing from outside the gate. It was an excellent example of restoration.




Now it is time for lunch....we are having the daily special. Pizza, salad and watermelon.

No comments:

Post a Comment