Sunday, August 26, 2012

August 24 and 26

Gagliano Aterno
 Here are some of my watercolors.
Castelvecchio Subequo

Gole San V.
It was our last day of class and it was hotter than ever. We did well in the morning, but by afternoon people were fading. We set up our art show in the courtyard. We used string with clips to hold the work up. It was a good idea, easy to put up and to take down. I was surprised how many people came to the reception. I expected no one. Jim made antipasto and so did another person and someone brought wine. At eight, the ten of us went for pizza. It was still so hot. Even though we ate outside and the sun had gone down there was not even a breeze. Dinner service in Italy works this way. Each table is only used once per evening. Everyone stays for ever. You won’t get a bill unless you ask, because that would be too rude of them and imply they want you to leave. We had a table of ten, but the two other tables each had about 25. There were two waitresses. There is no tipping. Besides waiting tables, they were stocking the fridge with drinks. Anyway it is all over. I am so tired. It must be the heat. After the art show on Sunday I will be on vacation. As soon as I finish the one pastel I have started I am going to only do watercolor. I am too tired from carrying so much stuff around.







Sunday Aug 26
I worked on my pastel this morning and I feel like I ruined it. I should have waited another day. I should have taken time to reorganize my pastels after someone else used them and I should have worn my sunglasses. It is impossible for me to paint here without them. Besides the sun, there is a lot of reflected light. With my painting in the shade, every time I look up at the bright scene, my eyes hurt.




When I first arrived at the piazza, it was deserted. Once church let out, ten people max, the piazza was full. I am pretty sure that none of the ten people actually stayed for coffee. I was up on my steps feeling fairly anonymous. 

By afternoon it was cloudy and it poured down rain. The street was a river from side to side. Now the big worry is the art show. Will it or will it not be happening? I called the woman and tried my three, new, Italian, words, “inside, outside and happening”. There was no communication. I now know that it is from 6 - 8pm in the historical center piazza. A friend was going to pick me up. She came by about one hour ago in her car to ask what time. I think people would rather drive by than call. She is the one that got me into this, but now she has her grandchild with her. She and another woman were coming, but now I do not know what is going on. I called her with my new time info and told her husband that she should pick me up at 5:30. I feel more confident about that communication. It is probably hard for people to understand me while I am hyperventilating. It is still thundering all over the valley. Jim said not to worry, it was just explosions. Haha.
Sky at 4:30.






This is a problem for me. Yes, I would like to pay for my trips here. That would be awesome, but it is stressful as can be. Speaking in person is difficult, but on the phone it is even harder. Still I am not giving up. You knew I wouldn’t.

The story continues. The person never came back to get us. It is now totally beautiful out and the air is cool. So where is she? We talked about this so many times. I have to admit I was looking forward to people seeing my paintings. Some of my best ones are of Castel di Irie. It is the cutest town ever. Is the lesson don’t plan things or don’t worry?









Shoes of the day. Quite the contrast.



Piazza at 2pm. Contrast this to 11pm pics you have seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment