Saturday, August 4, 2012

Nothing, hardly ever happens...

It is 10:45 a.m. and while you were sleeping we have been having adventures. We met Victorio, our incredible friend at the Commune who helps us with all our problems, at 9am in the piazza. He had a handful of large, old, rusty keys. We did not know what was in store for us. He had asked us to meet him, but we weren’t sure for what. We went up into the earthquake zone to a place we had not seen before. It was a hotel that he and his wife had purchased before the earthquake. I know they were living there when the earthquake happened, but I am not sure if they were working on it to fix it up to be a hotel or their home. It was large. Most of the rooms had vaulted ceiling with ancient paintings on the walls for decoration. The were huge cracks running through the structure. I asked him if they would get money for restoration, but he only shrugged.

On the way to his house we saw these carvings from the 5th century.



This is the door to Victorio’s house.


Earthquake crack and decorative painting on wall.


View from window of his house.



In the vinery part of the house also know as a tavern. It is a basement room.

Some wine barrels. The metal ring is form a barrel that rotted away. I have seen dozens of them in people’s taverns when the doors were open.

These are hand carved sticks. They, and the ropes, are used to carry a dead animal.


To the left you see the big vat where the grapes were smashed by people stomping them.

Jim and Victorio in a room full of old tools and metal locks.

This is one of many beautiful fireplaces.

Just a typical room with vaulted ceiling.

Jim in the area where they kept the cows. I do not think this was during Victorio’s time of owning the house. I don’t know how long it has been since it was a hotel and the vinery or barn was used. Do not ask me what Jim is up to.



Ok that was really not enough to keep us busy for the morning. On the way home I made an appointment to get my hair cut on the 17 August, we dropped off some groceries and me at our house and Jim went on to check out the little store. On the way he met the mayor and they came back to our house so we could show the mayor our paintings. We now have a show organized for the 11 -13 of August in CVS. We are to go check out the place and make sure it is ok. We will also be part of a celebration for people married 25 years. This is August 10. So we will be remarried in the Catholic church. We have to dress up. The mayor was not impressed with Jim’s tennis shoes. I do not know what we will wear. I guess I will wear my scorpion killer shoes. I do have a dress, but I need a scarf as it is sleeveless. I hardly know what to think or say. We are having three shows of our work in the next two weeks, we are getting remarried, I am teaching a class and who knows what will crop up next. Is it magic? Everything but our dang internet works out while we just stand here. And really who knows what we have agreed to? The magic swirls around us and we only say, “Si, va bene.”  After all it is only 10:30.

Cat in the plant while I am posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment