Friday, August 3, 2012

Today was market day again. It has been a while since our friend was running the vegetable stand. The young guys doing it always seem to have a cigarette hanging out of their mouth. It is seriously unappetizing. We are not going back to that stand unless our friend is there. The organic farmer who is set up next to them is also smoking. The elder women here seem so sweet and friendly until they get in a line for vegetables. Then you better watch out. Without our friend there it is hard for us to get waited on. They can smell blood or fear in the water. Possibly they can smell, “Americani”.


While we were sitting having coffee, a fork lift with a giant, concrete planter came to put it right behind my chair. It was the excitement of the day. Back and forth they went with the fork lift to get it in just the right place. Then they couldn’t get it off the metal. One guy grabbed some convenient street pavers that were by a door, put them under the planter and then they were able to pull the fork life out. Maybe they will plant it. They did put in new dirt. Its main purpose is to keep people from parking on the piazza. I don’t think it will work. People will park further out in the road or go around it.

One of my shoes broke and I took it to the shoe repair guy. (I showed you his picture before) When I went to pick it up, I stumbled over the words for how much, so he didn’t charge me. My shoe is good as new. Maybe better. If any more shoes break this winter I am bringing them back next summer. 

The other day we were walking on the road that runs below Castelvecchio, hence the name Via Sotto Castel. (below the castle) We heard voices, but could not see anyone. Then we spotted a guy in red pants rock climbing. Look how little he is. I had not realized the rocks were so big. The landscape behind CVS is different than out in front. I am glad we have the view of the valley and the mountains. Every time I am on the back road I think of the creepy movie, “Picnic at Hanging Rock”.



Last night Regina, Lydia and I went to hear an artist’s presentation in Raiano. Raiano is a town at the bottom of the mountains. It is surrounded by vineyards and olive groves. It is a nice town, not too big, but big enough that there are activities and stores. Regina is from Belgium and has lived here 15 years. Lydia is from Costa Rico. Her husband had been a wine maker in California and maybe Costa Rico. He is from Gagliano so they have moved back here. We were an interesting group. They are taking English from the Irish guy in Gagliano so I was speaking English to them. 


Raiano has parks lined with huge, old trees. It is pleasant under them in the shade with the breeze. CVS is almost all stone. I wish we had a great park. They are working on one and I am sure they would like it to be done in time for all these people showing up for August vacation.

The art activity turned out to be for kids. A guy was teaching them how to draw. He showed them everything I talk about. He left them no time to draw. They were all sitting there with their paper and pencils staring at him. Finally I started drawing from some pictures of animals that were on the wall. Then all the kids started drawing what he was drawing. Almost all teachers talk to much, especially art teachers and Italians talk more than any people I have ever met. So an Italian art teacher is a big problem. At one point he said to me that I seemed to understand. Of course I just stared at him in total incomprehension. Pretty funny. The best part was raspberry and chocolate gelatto.

While in Reano, I found a nice small thing to take a picture of.


We were out painting before lunch. Sunflowers on the road to Castel di Irie. We were sitting in the middle of the field under a dead tree. It was great while we were sitting there, but the walk there and back was hot. We were so tired that we did not say one word all through lunch. Now we are taking a nap.....













Finished
Started. Second day   

Just started. One day.

No comments:

Post a Comment