Thursday, June 19, 2014

The Joy of Friends


How can you thank the people that pick you up at Pratola, a 25 minute journey, now that the only straight shot out of the valley is closed because of rock slides? Besides Bjarne picking us up, Karin made us dinner: a delicious chicken stew over rice and my favorite ricotta cake. Buono!

We did not have our suitcases upstairs, before Enrica ran out with a bag of milk, coffee, breakfast cookies and homemade jam. The hugs!! The laughing!! The kisses!! The happiness!!




After a lovely sleep we headed to the piazza for caffe!! More hugs, more kisses, more smiling until your face cracks open.  I could just think that people here are so bored that they are excited for a new face, but I want to believe that they love us and are thrilled to see us. We saw almost everyone we know, including Pasquale who had come from Roma so he could see us before he leaves for a month in Africa. Tomorrow night, after the wold cup, we are having a 9pm meeting with Pasquale, Patricia, from the Commune, and members of the choir, including the director, via Skype, to talk about the U.S. tour of the local choir. It is an extremely frightening prospect. Luckily I have touched base with Naomi’s sister and so have something to say to them. I am afraid they think I am more than I am. Actually I know they do. We will also talk about my portraits of people from CVS.



Some things have changed here. The little shop we loved near our house is closed. No more gorgonzola or bottles of fizzy water. Gorgonzola is too expensive and frizzante is too heavy. The little old ladies cannot make it to the big store. It is too far away. A positive change is I believe our second neighbors over have put in a very nice trail down what used to be sticker alley. As usual their craftsmanship is impeccable.



In the convento restoration work continues. It does make me wonder when I see all the scaffolding holding up the arches that we casually walked under last summer. Alas, no concerts in the convento this year.


Things that do not change: Suduko on the deck


First Shopping

I forgot to mention the woman I asked for help in the Roma airport. She let me go on and on, before stopping me to say she spoke English. Pretty funny. And today I helped Maria shell peas. She was astounded that we will not have peas in Vermont for weeks. She is my friend across the street that I always sing “Maria” from Westside Story when I see her. I try to share it all with you, but you will not understand until you come here. Paradisimo.

Poppies

View from the Terrace

No comments:

Post a Comment