Monday, June 30, 2014

In The Stream

Last night there were fireworks. At night. There were fireworks at night. We did not know why, but this morning people were setting up for a party for a baptism of a baby girl. I believe these events are related. We haven’t been sleeping very well and so we keep getting up late. I did not make it to my painting spot till 10am. I was able to work about 1 1/2 hours, but will have to go back tomorrow earlier to get the correct lighting. We did not take a nap this afternoon so we have hopes for a better nights sleep. It takes awhile to adjust to a six hour time difference. Probably just one of those natural effects of growing older. ho hum

I was so sick of all my clothes being to big that I bought myself a pair of 7E jeans on the piazza. I used the trick of wrapping the waist around my neck and it worked. The jeans fit perfectly. Well if you don’t mind skin tight jeans. The jeans were made in China and thus this tag in no reflects the Italian grasp of English. These are Wangli jeans. (a rip off of Wrangler?) I like that their name is Wang Li. It gives them a personal touch. Also on the back is a little name tag that says, “jeans” in case you forget what you are wearing and have to ask a friend to remind you.




I know some of you are excited to see what we eat here. This was an exceptionally good meal. The pork is excellent here, but a little scary because they use a cleaver to chop up the meat, not a saw. This means that there could be little chips of bone. All this information was news to me, but Jim told me. Jim made BBQ sauce with local ingredients and it was great.  The tomato slice has mozzarella cheese, basil and a thick basil/vinegar reduction. We bought a bottle in the store after enjoying it at Enrica’s. It is amazing. In addition the sliced roasted veggies were excellent as was the bread and complex salad. I love the way I can smell all the food as I come downstairs. (I also love that I hang out while Jim cooks.)


While I was off cursing my painting, Jim sat comfortably in the shade and started this one of the church of San Francesco. I snapped a picture of the piazza and the party decorations AND great high heels. I was pretty worried about not having any high heels to take pictures of.





Party for baptism

After a pleasant afternoon on the terrace I went to a mass for my friend, Angela. I was ten minutes early and already many people were there. I think they were saying Hail Marys over and over. I think this helps people reach paradise sooner. The choir sang. Angela was a member. They had a guitar and it seemed so old fashioned. It didn’t matter that I could not understand most of the words, I have been to church enough to know what was going on, there was still a feeling a peace and security in all those people chanting the same phrases over and over. And so this day in CVS began with the celebration of a birth and ends with a memorial for the death of a young woman. This is what it means to belong to a family, a community and not just be somewhere on vacation.



Walking back from the service I felt a little shaking. Completely understandable, ask not whom the bell tolls for and all that. There were my three friends sitting in their little piazza talking as they do everyday.

 They were making little bundles of a wildflower that grows here. The stalks remain pliable and are used to tie up tomatoes or in this case grape wines. They also looked like modern bridal bouquets. (I have been researching this subject) So I made each one hold one, told them it was a wedding and took their picture. Further along my path I saw my friend Maria across the street. I went across to say hi and ended up taking a hosta home. There was no saying, “no”. I told her it would be coming back on 20 August. The shaking feeling went away and I could step back into the stream. After all, Danes are coming for dinner and bringing their Dog!! Not to eat you silly people, to stay with us while they go away for a few days. We will have a surrogate Angie.



Just Another Sunset. Remind me again why you are not here?

No comments:

Post a Comment