Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Oh what a day is today….



Same day, later on: I went to get my hair cut. An act of faith, but I loved my haircut last summer. It is less of a hair cut and more of an attack. Imagine angry hummingbirds swooping in to go snip, snip and a comb made of tiny nails to scratch across one’s head and then the pushing this way and that so she can cut on the left or the right. I kept my eyes shut the entire time. And don’t forget the gel and the spritz, spritz of hair spray. After Jim took my picture I washed it right out. I believe this is the Danish lady haircut. My friend got her hair cut today as well and it looks quite a bit like mine. Once I had my glasses back on, a woman having her hair colored asked me why I didn’t live in Gagliano. I said that CVS is number one. That was not the right answer. I feel sure I know her from parties in Gagliano.

The only conversation I understood in the beauty parlor was “Facebook”, “Facebook” and I believe all the names of people who have Facebook pages. When the haircut was finished I asked if I could take this photo to put on Facebook. Now she would be internationally famous! At first she didn’t want to, but then she gave a great smile.





 
On the way home I walked past the place where the elderly women of CVS convene in the afternoon while they old guys play cards in the piazza. Maybe it is only widows who have time to convene. On my way to the haircut every bench was full. On my way home only two women were left. They were just leaving. They grabbed my hands and had me walk home with them. The first woman lives in a house that I have admired for years. She has so many flowers outside  in a tiny space by the street. Her delphinium were tall in shades of blue and purple flanked by brilliant red geraniums. I was treated to coke and cake “made with 6 eggs”. I love the cake here. It is not sweet. They talked and talked and I nodded and smiled and said hmmm. Then they would ask me a question. Haha. I would try for an appropriate answer and then have to admit that I had no idea what they had asked me. Luckily I have learned how to ask about children and grandchildren. I am the age of their children. It was very hard to know how long was an appropriate time to stay. But I made my good byes and headed home. It had poured rain for a few minutes while I was inside and the remains of giant drops of rain littered the pavement. I looked up and, of course, a day like this could only end with a rainbow. (thank you Annie, I know you sent it)

Rainbow ending in Castel di Irie

No comments:

Post a Comment