Sunday, August 9, 2015

Green Night in Nardo and Back to Castelvecchio

Green Night and back in Castelvecchio Subequo

The last night as a guest in someone’s house is Green Night. This is the night you make your guests feel so bad that they are happy to leave. Something went wrong. We did not want to ever leave. Rolf did beat our socks off at Settlers of Carton, but I think it is because the whole thing was in Danish not English. But I should start at the beginning of the day before I was a loser. 

The walk to the market.






We went to the market about 9:00 in the morning. It was a longish walk and no surprises here, it was really hot and humid. The market is in what I will describe as an urban  blight area. Many people are on holiday and it was super hot, but the area had a bit of a post-appolcaliptic quality. Here were vendors selling the last goods of the consumer era and bits of food they had scratched out from blasted gardens. Plus lots of towels, t-shirts and bikinis. 




Pretty typical market stuff except for the bags of nuts.

The only respite was a brand new cafe bar that had opened in response to this new location for the market. It was bright and shinny and filled with people. We got a place in the shade to drink our water. It was almost impossible to keep up with the sweat and drink enough. 



After we staggered home, Rolf and Kirsten are in much better shape than we are especially in regard to surviving in the heat, it was time for my haircut. Kirsten has been taking all her guests to her hair stylist who just operates a few doors away. They need an international guest book. I am very happy with my haircut and now I will look good in my school photo!


When lunch was over Rolf drove us to the beach. I could get used to being dropped off at the beach by a red Alpha Romao. Pretty sweet. It was another great five hours of sleeping in the shade of the trees, taking dips in the Ionian Sea, walking on the beach, looking at people and eating chips. Only for the salt imbalance caused by too much sweat. The water was cooler and less salty than the Adriatico. I think this is explained by our only  being 50km from the tip of Italy which creates more water exchange. We were picked up by Rolf at 6 and then went home to get ready for dinner. When you hear the menu you make think that Green Night was successful at least where I was concerned.

We had raw red tuna, (I had leftover chicken), broiled fish, gnocchi, yummy, salad and bread. Then we got beat by Rolf. 


Today in CVS Jim had to cook and I had to paint.


This painting is a commission and I am never going to like it. So I am going to quit and hope she likes it and if not, well, that's the best I can do with a scene I did not pick out.

No comments:

Post a Comment