Saturday, August 2, 2014

DOOR: Outside

Last night was the opening of CVS Outside. Before the earthquake it was Inside, but since then it is not. The church with the rainbow of colors is the center piece of this exhibition. Up in the earthquake zone are doors with the pictures of the people that lived in those houses before the earthquake and a repeat of some of the colors on the church. It was a humbling experience to see the doors and the people who lived there. Honestly, I thought the church looked cool, but I didn’t really get it. We did spend about two hours last night listening to people talk about the point and significance of the art on the church. Having heard artists talk before I am pretty sure I know what they had to say and if that wasn’t enough for you, the conversation is continuing even as I type. I just walked by there and a docile crowd is sitting on chairs nodding their heads while the wise artist tells them what it all means.


People waiting to learn about ART

Beautiful view after ART education

Jim and Jeneane make their own art outside

Church art with addition of gold leaf on angel head


Today we walked out our door and stepped into a totally unexpected adventure. We went up to the piazza for second breakfast and noticed that things looked interesting over by the Piazza San Francesco. Turns out today is one of the many San Francesco days in CVS. I knew this, but there is also an art exhibition this weekend and some sort of military thing that I will have to explain once I see it. So I was confused. Jim carried all our painting stuff home while I went inside the church to see the new Sacred Objects Museum. (it sounds better in Italian) It was amazing. I am blown away at how much has been accomplished in the convent since I last saw the new space for the museum. The original museum is still standing but was basically crushed by the earthquake.






New Candles



There was a special offer to have lunch for 10E at one of many restaurants here and there. (there is only one in our town) All our friends were going to D’Lise’s in Castel di Ieri. Jim said he was just not hungry and our friend told us it was going to be a San Francescan lunch…very light. Ok, bread and water is what we thought. MA NO! (but no) It was fabulous pasta. I meant to take a picture for you honest, but when I saw that pasta all I could think was: eat. So I did. The plate did not look that big, but It seemed to never go down. Then we could have some kind of meat, sausage or chicken and there was salad and roasted potatoes. (I could have just had them for lunch) There was water and wine and coke. (I am sorry to say that coke is now making a regular appearance at meals) The restaurant was packed and it was so loud. We were very quiet being the only English speakers there. As dessert was not on the menu, many people had left when they brought out peaches and grapes. Right now the peaches are amazing. I learned how to eat one Italian style and if you ask me and bring me a great peach I will show you.



All gone


The problem with a tiny lunch in Italy is that it lasts till 3pm and then you are finished for the day. At least we are. Italians seem to have built up a tolerance.

Tonight, if you didn’t want to listen to the artist talk you could have attended a conference on the peaceful mission of the military. I am pretty sure I already heard that on Fox news. Or maybe it was a book I read, something about how war is peace? or was it you can’t work for peace and prepare for war. I don’t know. I decided not to go, because even though I would not understand it I would have a pretty good idea of the point. 

I am a little concerned about our art show. We are getting different messages from different people, but what ever. I have so many more portraits to paint and they all take three or four hours and a pencil, erasure, two brushes and two tubes of paint. Isn’t that kind of amazing? Yeah, I am amazed. It’s like a book. It just takes pencil and paper. Seriously get busy people!

Random biker

Our newest neighbor

Things to look forward to

Italian BBQ for arrostacini

another person of CVS

No comments:

Post a Comment