Monday, July 1, 2013

A lovely Monday July 1

 This is how it looked Sunday evening as we were walking home. The clouds were boiling and the light was streaming through distant rain.















I did this painting, oil on watercolor paper, off my terrace this afternoon, Monday.

 Some people have to work. I guess with the Italian economy like it is people that have jobs are happy to work. Our neighbor, Salvatore, told us that people are tightening their belts. I wish I had brought a belt, because my pants are falling off already.

 Our Street in the morning light.


This is the sign for the pizza place. They also serve arrosoticini. Those are the tiny lamb kabobs that this region is famous for. One euro a piece, if you buy them in the supermarket.

 Looking up at ours and Enrica's balcony. Enrica got me a flower that matches her's and hung it on my balcony.
First breakfast.

 Gregor will not be here this summer so it is obviously my duty to have a silly, I mean stunning, hat.

Today I was painting up above here. This is some of the remaining earthquake damage. The commune just got 48 million euros to restore the church and the palace. 
 On non-market days the fruit and veggie truck makes the rounds. The music, which sounds middle eastern, is blaring and the guy is using an antique microphone to shout out what he is selling. When Jim and I try to purchase food from him he gives us what ever he wants. I asked for 10 apricots and got about 30. This is not a communication problem. It is a business strategy.
Here my friend, Olga, gets just what she wants by helping herself. She is brave and experienced.  You should have heard the conversation. It was a struggle, one that is repeated weekly no doubt, but she won. Go Olga!


                      



 This morning's oil painting.
Yesterday's oil painting from the terrace. Ok, I know they are not as good as my pastels, but the equipment is so light. I have six colors, a tiny plastic palette with a lid, one brush, a small bottle of water, because these are water based oils, a cup for water, paper towels and the piece of foam core with the paper attached. I haven't even used an easel. I am going to do some pastels, but every time I look at all the stuff I need and feel how heavy it is I quail. Also, I have only been here three whole days. 

1 comment: