Friday, July 22, 2011

Back to Sulmona


Our shady spot.

JIm's drawing from today


Jim's drawing from yesterday. He did not move his stool, just looked a different direction. It is an amazingly beautiful city. And who has heard of it? I would rather go there than Rome.


My view from under the aquaduct


Same spot, but turned 180 degrees.

We trekked back to Sulmona today to finish our pictures. Jim started a new one with perfect drawing. Sometimes I do not like going painting with him. I was able to finish my two starts. We arrived much earlier than yesterday so I did not have to make up the light on the first one and I actually had to wait a bit for the light on the second one to be correct. After, we drove up to a high town above Sulmona that had an incredible view. There is no point in posting a picture, because it does not show the beauty of the layers upon layers of mountains. They are working constantly for the big horse race. Since yesterday they put up one whole side of the grand stand and have brought in tons and tons of dirt. Guys were out there today checking the slope of the ground to be sure it is perfect for the race. It will be a dusty business. It really isn’t dirt like you might be thinking. It is more like the rocky soil of Abruzzo. I do not see how any horse could run on it with out injury. There are nine different areas in Sulmona and each has its own flag. These flags fly on every street within each area.

Today was market day and we bought fruit and vegetables for the weekend. We got some bread shaped like bagels that we though might be something like a hearty donut, which are popular here, not hearty ones, more like Dunkin’, but they turned out to be donuts in shape only. I am not saying they weren’t good, but they resisted being cut in 1/2 with a big knife and we are wondering if they are actually stage props for a long running play. Tomorrow it will be back to painting only locales to where our feet will take us. That is good with me. I am reminded again how happy I am we don’t have a car, although it was great to run around in Gail’s car for two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment