Friday, July 29, 2011

Black velvet paintings

I can’t believe it is almost August. The time has slipped away in cups of coffee, cloud watching, meeting new people, unabashed nosiness peering down from our balcony and pastels. A few days ago, one of our neighbors stopped her car by me, in the line of traffic and had her English speaking friends tell me it would be ok if I wanted to paint in her garden. It is a very nice garden, home of most of the gnomes of Castelvecchio, but it is not really somewhere I would chose to paint. Yesterday she wanted to know WHY I hadn’t painted her garden and WHEN I was going to do it. I said tomorrow or the day after. This is an acceptable answer. So today I slunk around taking pictures through the fence. They have put up a locked gate so I can’t go in. I sat here on the terrace and did manage to finish one of her garden. I hate to show it to her. If she doesn’t like it I am quite sure she will tell me.

It is another magic cloud day with rain in different parts of the valley. I am so chilly that I am wearing a long sleeved shirt. I am going to do some more black sand paper terrace paintings of clouds. It would be a big risk to take my stuff and go anywhere with threats of rain from so many directions at once.

Dinner with the Danes was a big success. They loved Jim’s burgers and fries. Today I ate the pear I had drawn and it was the best pear I have ever eaten. How can this be every time? Jim and I realized that we cook fruit so often because it isn’t hat good, but I see no reason to ever cook fruit here. We haven’t tried apples yet, because they are not in season and Vermont has the best apples ever. I am sure it is the difference between eating locally and eating food that is shipped from other countries.

No comments:

Post a Comment