Friday, July 15, 2011

Scarpe e scorpioni; trouble in paradise


Salvdore at alKaffe
notice Jim's painting to the right


Guy we buy our vegtables from.


Market. The guy on the right is our friend.


Market


Shoes for Jessie. Obviously recognized as not shoes for me.


My first shoes since someone bought or made me an Easter dress.
The scorpioni killers


Yes, there are some downsides here. We both have about a million bug bites. We never see what bites us and there never are things buzzing around, but still we have bites. They itch a lot. Hydrocortisone cream seems to help. I was going around the house barefoot, because the tiles feel so cool. That is when I saw the black scorpion. I had no shoe to kill it with so I silently watched as it went on its way to some other dark cool hiding place. Today I bought some shoes to wear in the house. They were five euros at the market. They are probably the fanciest shoes I own, but I feel like an old lady in them. I also got a pair for Jessie. A different pair. While I was looking at the them the woman said, in Italian, oh are these for your daughter. How did she know I was not the fashionista?

Today's painting question was how long does it take you to do that? And how many have you done? Maybe reports of my 100e price got around. An important looking man talked to me today about being in the art exhibition at the church of San Francesco during the festivale. Would that be cool or what. I said I would do it.

I did not mean to sound un-American in my last post, but I feel Italians have a bad rep. I must be guilty of it also, because I am so impressed by how nice everyone is, how they never try to cheat you, even when it would be easy and that they are totally on time. NYC has a similar bad rep to people who have not been there, but I have always gotten help when I needed it. Today two guys in a car drove up beside us, after passing the REAL Italian, and asked us for directions. Oh yeah, fittin in! I think it is due to Jim’s Italian good looks and and his bleached blonde Italian wife. (I get asked a lot if I am married!)

This afternoon it was cool and breezy. In other words we were not going to drop dead from heat prostration, so we walked back down the road to Castel d Irie. We found a great view and Jim did a great drawing. I was totally frustrated because I was doing something small and it is just as much trouble and takes just as long as something bigger that can be sold for more. Jim wants me to go back and do a bigger one, so maybe tomorrow afternoon. Some Danes invited us over for drinks at 9pm after dinner. How do people do this?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. >"How do people do this?" They get up at 9:30 or take a serious 'siesta' from noon to 16:00

    ReplyDelete