Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sulmona

We have successfully returned from Sulmona. We saw five people we knew. One is from CS and was on the bus, the others were Danes who had driven over. Today is the big market day in Sulmona. It is not a small town, but everyone is in the market. The woman from CS is named Ermelinda. She works for the Regional Park of Sirente-Velino. Mount Sirente is in the view from our terrace. Her husband works for the city. Jim gave him a picture that he drew of the ancient church. I hope we get to go inside during the festival days. Jim says it is beautiful and Ermelinda is interested in the pre-christain architecture. On either side of the door are statues of women that she told us were mermaids. We had wondered where their feet were. We had asked Ermelinda where we caught the bus back to CV, but I could not make myself understood. I think it was like asking when will Christmas be next year. Everyone KNOWS. She took us out for coffee and pastries. We will be so spoiled.

We went to two tourist offices and were told the fermata, bus stop, was a one kilometer walk. Instead we decided to trust our instinct. We went to the bus stop across the park from where we had gotten off. Two women were waiting and when we explained our question they asked the next driver and he said it was the correct stop. After that we could relax and went back to the market and had some pizza and another coffee. When you get pizza to go, they cut it in half with scissors and make you a pizza sandwich. It is convenient and practical.

Sulmona is famous for “confetti”. It is a candy, about the size of an almond that comes in bright colors. It is made into flowers and sold by the stem or in bouquets. It looks quite amazing. There were giant sunflowers with bees or other cute bugs and daises of all colors. There are several competing companies, but Ermelinda told us which one to buy. I bought some for my neighbor. Now I am wondering why I did not buy more? I was afraid they would melt.

It is hot here. 37 c. It is dry, but it is exhausting. I was feeling kind of sick and Jim said to eat some salt. I felt better right away. The most exciting news is that I bought a chair in Sulmona. It is a sling back beach chair. Now I have a comfortable chair. I am sitting in it under the ceiling fan that Jim and Gregor installed. It is too hot to be outside. I am drinking Lemoncello with frizzante, which is fizzy water, and dipping my finger in salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment