Sunday, July 24, 2011

If it’s Sabato, it must be Portolga


Typical J&J Breakfast....petrified donut.


Latest re-decorating of guest bedroom.


Jim somewhere in Italy surrounded by satellite dishes.

All week we have been seeing a sign at the the Supermarcato that said, “Sabato, Portolga." (I have spelled this wrong) We went there this morning, Saturday, without considering the sign. The place was packed with people lined up at the meat counter. Some were even a little pushy. There were two large, roasted, somethings about two feet long and 8 inches in diameter. It must be the protolga and everyone is here early to get it!! We got some and it was amazing. We will be lining up next Saturday as well. It is like roasted pulled pork, but it is spicy. I am pretty sure this is the recipe:

http://italianfood.about.com/od/porkrecipes/r/blr1798.htm

After that I spent most of the, somewhat rainy, morning finishing the pastel of the neighbor’s house. I had to do it indoors so I could see my picture on the computer. I think they will like it, but I have no idea where to get a frame. After the excellent lunch I took a two hour nap. How can I sleep so much? After four we went to get coffee and then walked around and looked at the usual stuff. They have been dumping rock and rubble down a big slide into a extra large dumpster for three years, since the earthquake. It has gone right over one of our friend’s houses. I really can’t imagine being able to stand it. Today it is gone and all the stone work above it looks terrific, but it is still not accessible by foot. I think their plan was to secure the walls that would protect the houses below before starting on the church and houses that are higher up. It is an amazing undertaking to rebuild a city of stone.

Tonight Jim is making the neighbors an American dinner. Burgers and fries. We are both nervous, but he thinks it will be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment